Literary and Scientific Institute of Chihuahua
It was founded on March 19th 1835, with the purpose of promoting the cultural development of this growing city. It offered Latin and Castilian Grammar studies to the community. In the first year, it had an enrollment of 21 students. Between the years 1835 and 1900, 996 scholars studied in this Institute.
The education demand in the state increased in such a way that many students had to move out to Mexico City to accomplish their studies. A big number of them stayed there to live; consequently the state lost many important people.
The building of the former Scientific and Literary Institute is currently used by the Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua's Central Administration.
Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua
Regarding the demand for educational spaces by the scholar population, on December 9th, 1954, the State Congress issued the Decree 171, which officially founded the Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua (UACH).
In the first academic years, the university assisted a scholar population that barely reached a thousand students. By then, Mexico had a population of 26 millions inhabitants, and in our state there were approximately 750,000 inhabitants. At that time, the country's higher education enrollment was only of 29 thousand students.
UACH began with the School of Medicine, Engineering, Law, Physical Education, and Pharmacy.
In September 1956, the School of Farming (now School of Animal Sciences) was founded.
The former School of Business Agents was founded on December 3, 1958 as the School of Business and Administration. Today it is called School of Accounting and Business Administration.
The former School of Philosophy, Letters, and Journalism was founded on July 1960. Currently, it is called School of Philosophy and Letters.
On July 22, 1967, the university founded the School of Agronomy. Few years later, it was moved out to Delicias City, for this was the state's most important agricultural city. Today it is know as School of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences.
After acquiring its autonomy in 1968, the university became Universidad Autónoma de Chihuahua.
The former School of Public Administration and Political Science, located in Ciudad Juarez, was founded in 1968. Today, it is called School of Social and Political Science.
In 1974, the Engineering Degree in Horticulture was opened. Thereby, the former Higher School of Horticulture was constituted. Currently, it is the School of Agrotechnological Sciences.
Today's School of Fine Arts, formerly the Fine Arts Department, was founded along with the university.
The construction of the university gym began on May 12, 1978, and it was inaugurated on October 2, 1980. This architectonic piece was constructed, totally, by UACH's graduate engineers.
In 1991 the School of Dentistry and the School of International Economics were opened. This last school is located in the city of Hidalgo del Parral, Chihuahua.